Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hug and cry

My math teacher died today.

Either early today, or last night. But today we held a little remembrance ceremony for him. It was neat, everyone that knew him, or heard of him, which was almost everyone, was there. The leader of the school's Christ club lead the ceremony. Basically a few people said prayers, a few said nice things about him, then a moment of silence. I really didn't know the guy that well. Didn't really affect me, what people said was what people could have said about anyone.

Then one of my friends went up to say a few words, he was the last one too before the moment of silence happened. He is in my math class with me, we have been friends for pretty much as long as I've been at that school.

"I've only knew him for a few months, before he got sick. But basically from the second day of class, I could tell he was an awesome guy. He was a good man, and even though I didn't know him too well, I knew his daughter. And she is one of the best kids I ever met and I know that she had a really good dad. Thank you."

Again, those few meaningless words pass over as they could come from anyone. But then, something caught my eye, someone walking through the crowd, rather odd when everyone is standing still. I look up, it's my math teacher's daughter. And what does she do? She goes right up to my friend, turns him around and hugs him. They embrace and cry into each other arms. And as everyone is silent, just for a moment, the only thing you can here is the two crying and the few around them that hugged them too.

A tear falls from no where and lands on my cheek.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no one is untouchable. There is always some way to make you cry, every sad sob story and every last sad pic couldn't touch something so close to home as someone you know so well losing a loved one.

Guess I'm human after all.

No comments: