Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I am officially insane

I'm going to do NaNoWriMo again.

The notion didn't really cross my mind until a few days ago. Before that point, whenever I thought about it, or someone brought it up, I thought, "Yea, I did it once, that was kinda fun, that was enough for me." But on Friday or Saturday I saw something and that made me think. Damn me to hell, twice, once for watching this show to begin with, and second off for drawing such inspiration from it to make one month of my life a lot more trouble than it needs to be, but I saw an episode of Family Guy. The scene is one of Stewie making fun of Brian in a roundabout way for when Brian either casually mentioned, or seriously considered writing a novel. "So you've been working on that novel. Three years? All this time you've been working on this novel. Do you have a plot, beginning, middle, end? You got a compelling protagonist?" This goes on for about a minuet and a half all the while Stewie's voice is getting higher and higher in a classic 'Family guy taking a joke that could be told in half a second and spending a full ten seconds on it'.

But that got me thinking, 'Yea, that sounds like fun. Crafting my own little world and spending so much time and effort filling it with characters people might want to read about. Devising plots and sub-plots and derivatives of those plots and mixing them all together in a interesting way. It's almost like a puzzle, trying to figure out how this story is going to happen, how it's going to end, how it's going to start, what the fuck is going on between here and there. Who is everyone, what makes them unique, what makes them tic and what pisses them off. How do they interact with each other. What's the major plot line, the details of how and why this is all happening. Where is all this happening, settings times places props background. How do I make this interesting?'

And so now, apparently, I'm working on a novel, when I'm not playing minecraft that is.

No comments: